CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chalkboard Renovation

Hi there! I thought I'd start off by showing you one of my first projects. When I started looking at my pictures to write this post, I realized that if I'm going to do tutorials, I think I should take more pictures! So, hopefully things will improve as I continue on here. Smile

First of all, I started with this nice rooster (can I get a "cock-a-doodle-doo"?) picture from Goodwill for $1.99. No offense to those who like roosters or rooster prints, but I was aiming to make myself a chalkboard.

Then I took some acrylic paint I had on hand and painted the border. It took a few coats.

Here's what that looked like. I didn't bother taping the inside since I knew I'd be painting that too

I let this dry and taped the border so that I could paint the inside. I used a spray can of chalkboard paint (found it at Home Depot) and followed the directions. Sorry no pictures of the process. Might have been entertaining ones though! I usually try to squeeze in my projects in those tiny little pockets of time during the day (or late night) when I don't have all three girls needing me.

I did have to sand lightly in between coats of chalkboard paint since you could faintly see the outline of the rooster.

Let dry and "season" by rolling chalk all over surface. Write a message, menu, store list or whatever your pretty little heart desires.

Sorry, I know you can't see the bottom border of it since it's propped above my cabinets, but it's the same as the top. Overall it was a cheap and fun way to add some height in my kitchen.

ETA: I am working out the kinks with my pictures and editing software. Please bear with me. I am computer illiterate!

ETA {Part 2}: Ha! It's late. That's my excuse. I want to add that I did take some sandpaper to the edges and border of this after it was all dry to lightly distress it. The end. I promise.

3 comments:

Cottage Dreamers

I've been wanting to do this too. I had a 4'x8' chalkboard at my last house but that's just too big for me now. Yours looks great. Good job!
☺ Celeste

Anonymous

Welcome to blogging! I've been at it for six months now and have met so many clever, creative, wonderful people! This is my first visit to your blog but I will be back. You did a great job on re-purposing the old art work into a chalk board. This is on my to-do list. I will use it to keep track of what I need to pick up at the grocery store since I always forget something! I invite you to stop by and enter my giveaway.

Deborah

TheVirginiaHouse

Looks so cute! I am trying to fit in a chalkboard somewhere in my house!(even though chalk is of those strange things that makes my skin crawl!)
Thanks so much for linking up to We Can Do It Cheaper!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails